Sarah Richards was born in Durban; her childhood was spent in various places around Southern Africa. She returned to Durban to study Fine Art, majoring in sculpture at Durban Technikon (1985-1990). During the next four years she travelled overseas to gain experience and insight before returning to Durban to make art and to teach drawing, painting and sculpture to adults and children. She completed her Master’s degree in Fine Art (Cum Laude) at the Durban University of Technology in 2008. Sarah is now living and practicing her art in the KZN Midlands.
Sarah has been creating bronze sculptures for the past 18 years. Her passion lies in rendering sculpture which shows an attention to detail, and which give an impression of movement and animation. Sarah explores many different subjects; this comes from her fascination with the details and construction of the world. Inspired by pubic sculpture and monuments around the world Sarah enjoys the challenge of creating world class sculpture for the public commissions she has received. Her smaller figure sculptures include children at play, small figures and nudes.
There is always a challenge in creating wild animal and bird sculpture; finding reference and information to help in the creating of a creature which shows its character stilled into one position.
Sarah is experienced and well versed at executing commissioned tasks; from small coffee table pieces, portrait busts and monumental statues. She works closely with her client to creatively express their vision in the bronze works she sculpts.
- Masters in Fine Art at Durban institute of Fine Art (DUT) – 2008 Cum Laude
- Fine Art Technikon Natal (1989)
- ArtSPACE Durban 29 August 2011 – Bronze sculpture and paintings – Further
- ArtSPACE Durban, February 2008, Masters Exhibition of Oil paintings – Forward
- The Grillroom Café, Innes Rd, Durban, August 2002. (Solo). Mixed media sculptural drawings –
- Cherie de Villiers Gallery, Hyde Park Corner, Jhb – May 2013
- Inspirations exhibition of bronze sculpture, Hilton 2011
- Foundryman’s Choice bronze sculpture, Paarl – 2009
- Group sculptor’s exhibition, Groundcover – 2009
- Private Charity exhibitions – from 2009
- St Anne’s College, Charity Fundraising exhibition, 2008
- Wine week, 2008, 2010
- Willowdale Lodge, Kokstad, 2008
- NSA Gallery, Durban 1998 of small bronze and concrete sculpture (Solo).
- Karabuni Hills in Nottingham Rd, July 2007, Bronze sculptures – Exhibit 2
- Artlink Gallery, Muster on South coast, December 2007
- Art for conservation charity auction 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012 – Donated and exhibited sculptures
Examples of Commissions:
- 3m High bonze King Somhlolo Swaziland http://www.sarahrichards.co.za/king-somhlolo.html
- Sardine run – King Shaka International airport, Durban – 2014 http://www.sarahrichards.co.za/sculpture/monuments/the-mass-of-men-sardine-run-king-shaka-airport.html
- Portrait Busts (please view website http://www.sarahrichards.co.za/bronze-sculptures/portrait-busts.html)
- National Heritage Project Life-size figures of King Nyabela and Doman as part of a large project 2012 -13
- Cane Cutter – life-size bronze for the Cane Growers Association to commemorate the arrival of the Indian
- cane cutters 2012
- Portrait bust – Mr and Mrs Bhagwadeen, Pietermaritzberg – 2011
- Portrait Bust – Mr Reddy founder of a school in Chatsworth, Durban – 2009
- Ploughing oxen trophy for the Ombudsman for short term insurance, 2008
- Larger than life Portrait Bust, cast in Bronze, for private Game farm development in Mozambique – 2008
- Edition of 18 bronze Fish Eagles for the Players and VIP’s of the Nedbank Golf Challenge, Sun City – 2006